Monday, July 19, 2010

First Generation / Primera Generación

As I ask "who am I and where do I come from?"
The immediate thought in my mind is,
I come from a lively culture, a beautiful heritage….
ornamented by the beautiful colors,
yellow, blue and red.
You see, I am first generation Colombian.
I've had the privilege to live in the US,
but inspired by amazing Colombian roots.
What makes me Colombian here in the United States?
It's love, passion, a hunger for life.
My days are spent on how to make things better,
how to be inspired, see more, and understand more.
This all stems from childhood lessons,
by my noble parents from Barranquilla,
my Abuelita from Ocaña, and many other inspirations.
During my childhood, I saw people dance, smile and laugh.
A curiosity within me was awoken.
And now, when I hear cumbia, my hips start moving 
just as automatic as lungs take in air.
Hearing the passionate drums,
of the Pollera Colorá filled me with passion too.
The spirit of Colombia is something I carry in my soul.
This is all due to the vision of one man, Simón Bolívar.
A visionary of his times, he liberated this beautiful country
so one day it could be exactly where it is today.
Colombia's history has not been without struggle.
But despite the difficulties, there is love,
a vision and a desire to better tomorrow.
The beauty of this invisible force goes beyond time and continents.
Whether you are born in Colombia or another land,
you share the same gratitude for this strong foundation.
Simón Bolívar, Colombia, you have given me the key ingredients
to peruse my dreams.  All I can say is:
Thank you from the first generation Colombians in the United States,
for this beautiful gift we carry in our souls.

Mientras me pregunto: ¿quién soy y de dónde vengo?
El pensamiento inmediato que ronda mi mente es
que vengo de una cultura viva, una herencia hermosa…. 
adornada por los preciosos colores 
amarillo, azul y rojo. 
Soy parte de la primera generación colombiana. 
He tenido el privilegio de vivir en los Estados Unidos, 
aunque inspirada por asombrosas raíces colombianas.
¿Qué me hace ser colombiana en Estados Unidos?
Es el amor, la pasión y el deseo de vivir. 
Mis días transcurren en torno a cómo mejorar las cosas, 
cómo ser inspirada, ver más y comprender más.
Todo esto se origina en las lecciones que aprendí de niña
de mis nobles padres quienes nacieron en Barranquilla, 
mi Abuelita de Ocaña y muchas otras inspiraciones. 
En mi niñez vi a personas bailar y reír. 
La curiosidad despertó en mí. 
Y ahora, cuando escucho cumbia, mis caderas empiezan a moverse 
involuntariamente como pulmones que buscan aire. 
Escuchar los apasionados tambores
de la Pollera Colorá tambien me inundaron de pasión.
El espíritu de Colombia es algo que llevo en el alma.
Todo gracias a la visión de un hombre, Simón Bolívar. 
Un visionario de su tiempo, quién liberó a este hermoso país 
para que un día fuera lo que es hoy.
La historia de Colombia no ha sido exenta de luchas. 
Pero a pesar de las dificultades, existe el amor, 
una visión y el deseo de un mañana mejor. 
La belleza de esta fuerza invisible transciende tiempo y continentes. 
No importa si naciste en Colombia o en otra tierra, 
compartes la misma gratitud por este fuerte cimiento. 
Simón Bolívar, Colombia, ustedes me han dado ingredientes claves 
para alcanzar mis sueños. Todo lo que puedo decir es: 
Gracias de parte de la primera generación
de colombianos en Estados Unidos, 
por este hermoso regalo que llevamos en el alma. 






2 comments:

  1. Victoria Torrez RicoJuly 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM

    Beautiful Shirley! Exactly the way I feel about being born here but embracing my roots! Thank you, y que viva Colombia! Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victoria :) Y que viva Mexico!!! :)

    ReplyDelete